Monday, April 12, 2010

Cutout sugar cookies 101

Well, I attempted to follow the recipe in Martha's Cookies book for cutout sugar cookies. I was planning on making them for my married friends' anniversaries, instead of buying them presents, which I have no cash for. First I forgot to seperate the flour/dry ingredient mixture in a second bowl. My butter wasn't exactly room temperature. Who has time for that? Then, when I tried to take it out of the mixing bowl to seperate it into 2 saran wrapped individual quantities, it was sticky. Is this common? I put it in the fridge. Then I spread flour everywhere on my movable dishwasher to attempt to roll them out. They stuck to my rolling pin like mud sticks to a hog. I had to knead them with considerably more flour. I cut them out, and proceeded to decorate with red/pink/white/lavender/chocolate sprinkles. And baked accordingly. Oops! I forgot to freeze the cutouts on the cookie sheets. Crap! And I didn't use the baking adjustments for high elevation! I did line the cute cookie tin with silver paper and put a bow on it, though. I have a memory only for the trivial. The obvious completely escapes me. Upside: They looked decent. Downside: They were as hard as rocks. Maybe mine didn't turn out right, but I think that they would only really be useful for decoration, i.e. baby shower favors, Christmas tree decorations, etc. I  had to send the recipient a note stating that she should put them in the microwave, they were supposed to be crunchy, or dip them in coffee.
Next time, I think I will try the chewy sugar cookie recipe. What the heck is sanding sugar?! I'm pretty sure that my grocery store doesn't offer that.

2 comments:

  1. If your butter wasn't room temperature, then it's hard to cream it with sugar.

    You should take pictures next time! Would be fun to see your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to be humiliated when I fail and therefore generally dont take pictures. But hey! I am me! I am both failure and success, hear me roar!

    ReplyDelete